Barabazaar or the 'great bazaar' is the oldest and richest bazaar in Kolkata, and existed before the East India Company arrived in 1690. The Europeans established themselves in south Kolkata at the villages of Gobindapur and Kalikata, erecting a 'white town' there. North Kolkata, including the villages of Sutanuti and Chitpur as well as Barabazaar, with its largely Indian population became known as the 'black town'. Today, comprising approximately 2.5 square kilometres, Barabazaar is a conglomerate of private markets with a weekday population of 800,000.